Thursday, November 16, 2006



Chapterhouse - Pearl

Almost anyone who loved music and grew up in Jacksonville went to Einsteins at some point. It was an underage club so they didn't serve alcohol. Kids went there mainly to dance and to be seen on the scene. The uniform for girls was jeans or skirt, doc martens, and a white or blank tank top. People who visited from out of town were always mystified by the fact that people all faced in the same direction while they danced. People also tended to dance right in front of the speaker and air-guitar...a lot.

Anyway, this pic is from Einstein's early days, before the monodirectional craze kicked in. But I swear it's true! I was there pretty much every Saturday night.

One of my all-time favorites from the Einsteins playlist was Chapterhouse's "Pearl." It wasn't obscure at the time, but I bet most people under 22 have never heard the song. Download it now and imagine yourself dancing in front of the speaker, air-guitaring the night away, and it's like you're there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for this track! I just found out that I was a "shoegazer" in the Nineties, being in love with bands like Ride and Slowdive, and that Chapterhouse was another famous "shoegazer band" back then - shame on me, but I had never heard of them! But listening to their song "Pearl" right now I remember the nights at my favourite club, gazing at my shoes while dancing to tracks of Ride or The Smiths or Buffalo Tom, and yes - sometimes air guitaring a bit!

boleroid said...

Mark! Neat blog. The Chapterhouse link is expired, unfortunately. And I can't find my old copy of the Falling Down EP, which was magic. This is John Mark, by the way.