Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Blog Roundup - The Best of October and November 2005

This is a new feature I'll be doing where I repost my favorite mp3's from other audio blogs.


Millbrook - Meet Me in the Fields
This comes from Marathon Packs. I saw a mention of Steely Dan in the blurb about this band and instantly knew I'd like it. The song actually sounds more like ELO than ye olde Fagen and Becker.

Crazy Penis - Lady T
This reminds me of the Scissor Sisters, in a good way. Totally gay, totally disco, totally great.

Moneybrother - It's Been Hurting All the Way Joanna
I think I was clued into this one by My Old Kentucky Blog. It's from a Swedish band who sounds a bit like the Verve with a dollop of Bruce Springsteen-style sincerity. Strangely compelling. From what I hear the band is huge in their native country.

The Knife - Heartbeats
Brooklyn Vegan hyped this one to death, as did Gorilla vs. Bear, but I love it too.

October Country - My Girlfriend is a Witch
October Country was a '60s band headed up by Michael Lloyd, a producer and songwriter who was also a member of the more well-known West Coast Pop Art Experimental Band. His best project was with the Smoke, who only recorded one LP for Capitol subsidiary Sidewalk, but all of his projects from the '60s are great. He made all of his money however producing mega-blockbuster dreck like "You Light Up My Life" in the '70s.

Green - Gotta Get a Record Out
Franklin Bruno mentioned this in a Time Out review of Art Brut like two days after Jon posted it on Little Hits. It could be a coincidence, but I'd bet money that Franklin reads Little Hits.

Field Music - If Only the Moon Were Up
I'll take this over Maximo Park any day.

Modeselektor - Dancing Box
I thought this was some crazy grime shit at first, and then I realized they were singing in French.

2 comments:

Francesco said...

Hi Mark, sorry if i am using this comment for this comunication but i didn’t find any contact to mail you. With my italian blog we are doing a huge music-survey (top-ten 2005 album) contacting all the music-blog around the world. I want your music-blog partecipates to our survey. On my blog www.indiefordummies.blogspot.com there is a post with all the informations to how partecipate. thanks for your time, i hope you like the idea.

fjb said...

Both true: I read Little Hits, though I don't check it daily, and my Green ref. was, in this case, a coincidence.