Saturday, January 16, 2010


King of Prussia - I Work for Ryder
2002

Philadelphia's Sam Henderson had been recording for nearly ten years before his first album came out in 2002 under the King of Prussia moniker. The album was compiled from close to 400 tracks recorded at home on a four track or DDclip. Henderson's friend Ben Warfield released the album Blood Rains Down on my Hometown on his Best Friend label and it slowly got passed around the Philly scene.

According to Henderson, "people started coming over to the house we lived in and listening to me record, which I just did all the time. That's how the band happened: people would hear the record and want to be in the band. It sounds dumb, but that's actually how it happened. There ended up being about 15 different people in the band, and we played around Pennsylvania and New York and Chicago about 25 times at the most."

Warfield folded his label in 2003 and Henderson moved to New York, effectively ending the band. After a year spent touring with Man Man, Henderson formed Whales & Cops in 2006. That band released an EP called Great Bouncing Icebergs which is Henderson's only other recording to date. However, he is currently working on new material.

"I Work For Ryder" was recorded in 2002, right before the final mix of Blood Rains Down.

1 comment:

---NO--- said...

I absolutely love this album!
The disc tragically broke on me a few years back, and I did my absolute best to track down a new copy to no avail.

If you know of anyway for me to get a copy of the album, id happily rebuy it. Drop me a line k386@pmlf.net

Thanks for posting the track!