Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Ton Bundle - Inbetween and Afterward
1992

Ton Bundle formed at Wheaton college in Illinois. Led by Rob Bell, they released a cassette in 1992 called "Taking My Donkey to Town." A friend made me a dub of the tape in high school and I actually listened to it fairly often. I forgot about the band a few years later, but rediscovered the tape when I was researching tracks for my Tiny Idols comps. I decided to see if I could find the band, and it turned out that Bell is now a hugely popular pastor at Mars Hill church. I left several messages with Bell's secretary, but she seemed dubious about my intentions and probably never even passed on the message. I never heard back from Bell.

Upon relistening to the tape, it does in fact have some Christian themes, if not overtly so. In hindsight I also now remember that the friend who gave me the tape was raised in a devoutly Christian home. A coincidence? Probably not.

In my research I discovered that Ton Bundle attracted a fairly devoted following at the time (I guess some were born to lead, huh?). Many of the old fans were dying to hear tracks, so I thought I'd upload my favorite from the cassette.

8 comments:

Rich and Kerrie said...

Got anymore you wanna post, like "Velvet Elvis" perhaps?

Mark said...

I could post more, but I'd really need to get in touch with Rob Bell. Rob, next time you google Ton Bundle and end up on this site, let me know what you think. I'd like to set the story straight on this band...

Unknown said...

I was at Wheaton (93-97) shortly after _ton bundle disbanded in 1991, and a friend of mine had one of their tapes. He 'remastered' it and put it on CD. I'm now listening to the sweet sounds of "Princess" and "Velvet Elvis" in my car!

Rich and Kerrie said...

Any chance I can get a copy of the "remaster"? rexfunk@gmail.com is my email if there's any possibility.

Keith Duff said...

Did you ever get permission to post the mp3 files from Rob?

If so, could you please point me to them? I have "Princess" from a Kodon compilation cd but none of the others have survived for me. Would love to get the golden oldies back :)

Thanks,

Keith

Anonymous said...

might, is there a shot to get a copy of rob's band themes??ñ. i'll appreciate a lot, is almost impossible to find out.. thnx.. my msn it's , maonofxo@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

I still have their "best of" cassette but would love to get any and all of their recordings digital. Please contact me: funjoey66@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Troy said...

I was at Wheaton with Rob and the rest of the band. They had a little following on campus and everyone knew who they were. I really dont think many outside the campus community knew of them but they were fun. The _____ton is a shorteni g of Wheaton becasue the college asked them to remove the name of the college from the band name.