Saturday, January 07, 2006

Lispector
I Love my Recorder
1999

The song title says it all.  In the sweetly addictive "I Love My Recorder," Julie Margat's vocals ride a hip hop beat with all the sensuality of Brigitte Bardot in her prime.  No surprise then that Margat hails from Paris, France, where she currently records her self-released records under the Lispector moniker.  To my ears Margat clearly wants to fuck her four-track, but Margat herself compares the song to Virginia Woolf's A Room of Your Own.

Margat swiped the Lispector name from a Ukranian-born author.  Although Margat had not read Lispector's books at the time, she eventually grew to be a fan.  Margat has never toured, but she has released two full-length albums and appeared on a few compilations.  "I Love my Recorder" is from her first full-length, Human Problems and How to Solve Them.  Her new album is out now and can be downloaded for free at her website here.

No comments: